Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Happy Chanukah!

A really interesting and varied day today.  Although not as cold as yesterday, it was still bitter and the temperature remained on or only just above freezing point.  A fully packed day of appointments.  This morning I attended Mid-Week Eucharist at Whaddon followed by a meeting of the Team Staff at Alderbury - a meeting which lasted some two hours.  After that I drove to the Park & Ride at Petersfinger and caught the bus into Salisbury so that I could continue/complete my essay.  In fact, I managed to complete more than 1,500 words but still need to write the bibliography and finalise my conclusion.  This I had intended to do tonight but it has been left over until tomorrow.  My target is to complete and submit the essay tomorrow which will be well in time.  That will just leave me with the final one to write before the end of next week.  I returned to the Park & Ride and drove to the St. Mark's area of Salisbury to meet up with Sara and the kids for a visit to Si and Elona to join them in their celebrations of the Jewish festival of Chanukah (or Hanukah as it is more commonly known).  It is often referred to as the Jewish "Christmas" and consists of the lighting of candle over an eight day period to commemorate the re-dedication of the Temple at Jerusalem after its desecration at the hands of the Greek king, Antiochus IV.  The event was very informal - we ate a buffet of different foods - spring rolls, corned beef, sweet corn, peanuts - including traditional potato pancakes called latkes.  Candles were lit and Jewish liturgy recited.  I was asked to read a passage in Hebrew.  I am sure my pronunciation was appalling!  A really enjoyable evening which the children really enjoyed.  Mary has been feeling unwell today and came out of school this afternoon.  There is a dreadful bug going around at the moment I am still suffering from the cold I picked up in Liverpool over three week's ago.  This cold weather is simply not helping.  Another busy day awaits tomorrow.  Finally went to bed tonight at midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment