Monday, December 03, 2012

In Grimsby and Cleethorpes/Royal Succession

I woke quite early this morning - 6.00 a.m. and then dozed for half an hour or so.  I was woken by Mum's "cock crowing" alarm clock at 7 a.m. and went downstairs to make tea for us both.  It was cold in the bedroom so I stayed in bed and wrote out all the Christmas cards for delivery around Grimsby.  At 50p per card postage we are certainly going to have to cut down on the number of cards which we post.  Most of our friends are on email and so we shall send electronic versions of our newsletter to them as a Christmas greeting.  I shall donate some of the postal savings to Morning Star.  Mum made breakfast of porridge and we had some spare time before I took her to visit her doctor in Cleethorpes.  I joined her with the doctor for the consultation and we spent nearly half an hour discussing her various ailments and the pharmaceutical treatments.  She also has an appointment at the hospital tomorrow (which I will take her to) and another appointment with the doctor on Thursday. After picking up a package of further drugs (sounds terrible when put like that doesn't it!) we returned to her house so she could take them and also ring to check if she should go to the hospital tomorrow following the change to her prescription.  They confirmed that she should.  After visiting Ramsden's (where Mum me some new slippers) we drove into Grimsby town centre for her to pick up a new disabled badge for the car and I topped up my Vodaphone dongle to enable me to work on the Internet - it is frustrating not having a wireless signal here in Grimsby.  We also visited the re-cycling centre to dump her old TV and delivered a few cards to people on the west side of town.  Tonight I cooked us both spaghetti bolognaise and we spent the evening watching the Royal Variety Show from Albert Hall.  These performances are not my favourite "cup of tea" but I did find tonight's show quite entertaining.  It was announced today that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are expecting their first child who may, in due course become our monarch.  The Government intend to bring into law a new rule of succession enabling the eldest child, whether male of female, to succeed to the throne.  If born a girl the child will still be the third in line to the throne and thus become Queen Regnant in due course.  This news certainly seemed to buck Mum up who, whilst feeling unwell, seems to be managing okay at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment