Sunday, December 09, 2012

Prepare the Way

A busy Sunday today.  Indeed, most Sundays are now extremely busy.  As Sara was still feeling unwell I took Thom to the village shop at 6 a.m. so that he could put the inserts into the Sunday papers before setting off on his round.  Sara, who was feeling a little better, and Mary went to West Dean with me for the Morning Worship service.  There were about 16 of us there today, including two members of my Support Group, and the service seemed to go well.  I gave out small advent candles to each member of the congregation for them to take home and light there. The second advent candle this week was the Candle of Preparation and each of the small tea-light candles had this message wrapped around it (see picture).  One member of the congregation was a homeless person whom I spoke to at length after the service but who didn't need any practical help other than a lift to Tisbury - given to him by another member of the congregation.  After the service and the coffee, Sara, Mary and I went to Tesco's and did some shopping for lunch - a nice big piece of beef which, once home, I cut into two sizeable joints - freezing one and roasting the other. I prepared roast potatoes, vegetables and Yorkshire Puddings which were served up at about 4 p.m.  Tonight, Mary went bowling with the Rockface group and Sara, Thom and I went to Whaddon to support Zoe who was leading the Evening Prayer service there.  Apart from us there were only two members of the congregation which was rather sad.  Zoe did a really good service with Sara giving one of the readings and I operated the CD player. She also used two of my advent tea-lights as altar candles - a nice touch.  I do wonder why we keep this service open.  It seems that they would prefer a BCP (Book of Common Prayer) service anyway.  Back in Winterslow, afterwards, Thom and I joined Richard and David for the Pub Quiz.  another win for "Last of the Summer Wine" with me taking home a bottle of red wine and Thom a chocolate Santa. A perfect end to a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment