Saturday, December 01, 2012

With family, friends and supporters

A really cold morning here in Liverpool today.  Although I woke at 6.30 a.m. I didn't get up for another hour or so - making myself a mug of tea and reading.  A lazy morning with bacon butties for "brunch" and enjoying a read of the morning papers.  At 12.30 I set off for the Liverpool v Southampton Premier League match at Anfield.  I walked to St. Michael's Station and caught a direct train to Sandhills from where I waived the opportunity to catch the "Soccerbus" and walked the mile and a quarter to Anfield, buying a programme from a cheerful seller.  On the way I also met a number of Liverpool supporters all of whom cheerfully engaged in conversation.  Liverpool folk are always so friendly and willing to engage in conversation and a mutual interest in football, even if one supports the opposing side, is sure to find favour.  The game was not as exciting as I had hoped and Southampton lost 1-0.  Liverpool were not on top form but were certainly better than the Saints who seemed tired and lacked pace. I sat next to one of the parents from the Clarendon Junior Football Club whose son had played with Thom. It seemed odd talking to a Winterslow person in the heart of Liverpool.  Still a defeat by such a narrow margin is not a disaster and Liverpool certainly should have done better.  I retraced my steps back and was fortunate to catch a train back to St. Michael's as soon as I arrived at the Sandhills platform.  Tonight I enjoyed a meal with my cousin Lynne and her husband Stuart as well as good friends Geoff and Alma at The Red Fort Indian Restaurant. The meal was excellent and the company and conversation so enjoyable that the evening simply flew by and before any of us knew it the clock was showing 11.30 p.m.! Three and a half hours of constant chat.  Always a highlight of a trip to Liverpool to see friends and family up here.  Malcolm and I didn't have a long session tonight preferring to have a relatively early nigh to catch up on last night and a busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment