Saturday, December 15, 2012

Global Warming

Another day at home today.  Thom took himself to the shop for his paper round this morning which meant that Sara and I could have reasonably lie-in.  Mary and her friend Natalie also laid in. Terrible news this morning - a gunman in Connecticut has shot and killed 26 people - 20 of them children in a junior school.  The gun laws in the USA really do need to be reviewed.  I walked to the shop myself for a newspaper, milk and fresh rolls and croissants for breakfast.  Sara did a taxi run to Andover to take one of James's children for his hockey match.  With James out of action with his broken leg,  Sara has offered to run their children around when Sam is running other errands or one of the other children.  Some real practical help.  After that, Sara took Mary and Natalie into Salisbury - first for the cheer-leading training session and afterwards shopping.  Thom cleaned my car whilst I sent off my completed and proof-read essay to my tutor, wrote the two articles for the parish magazine and opened up and recorded all the Christmas cards we had received.  I had intended to send a few out as well but that can now wait until tomorrow when I'll blitz them.  Because of the massive increase in the cost of postage this year, I shall be more selective as to those I send out.  Many on the Internet will get a greetings email and the Christmas newsletter.  I watched a fascinating programme on the TV today about the shrinking sea-ice in the Arctic Ocean which emphasised the concerns we should all have as a result of global warming.  Having said that, we haven't felt much global warming down here until today.  The ice has all gone and the ground is really wet.  Southampton FC didn't play today (their opponents, Chelsea, are in a competition in Japan). Despite no game, they still remain above the relegation zone - just!.  Norwich's win over Wigan kept them up but a massive win by Aston Villa at Liverpool (1-3) and a win by QPR means they are far from safe.  Sunderland lost against Manchester United and so a win by Saints against Sunderland next Saturday could send Saints up the table.  A loss could put them back in deep trouble.  I would like to see them remain outside the bottom three on Christmas Day.  Like old times again!

No comments:

Post a Comment