Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday - The beginning of Lent

Although a little unconventional, breakfast this morning consisted of pancakes at the request of the children! They enjoyed them so much last night that they wanted them again. It is a good way to get eggs and calcium inside them. Straight after this breakfast, Tom and I went to St. John's for the Ash Wednesday service presided over by Cynthia. Tom actually found the service tolerable because there were no hymns and it lasted for only about 50 minutes. It is always a sombre service and makes us think carefully about what and why we are giving something up (or doing something more constructive). As well as giving up chocolate as usual, I am going to try (and I do say "try") to give up gossiping and speaking ill about any person and letting people see Christ's light shine in me! We can be too judgmental in our lives and this is going to be a really hard test. However, as Christians, it should come more naturally than it does. Indeed, like any other "voluntary" organisation, it can be rife with gossip and speculation - as well as factions. My new Lenten resolution was pretty well put to the test almost immediately today when a neighbour called upon us with some personal problems. Sara was just starting the decorating of the downstairs cloakroom and I was about to start some more serious tidying up of the study. That all got put aside to help this person. Sara had to attend a Junior Church meeting and so I was left to sort things out. No problem - it gave me the chance to put my promises into action. Tonight I attended a fascinating talk on the canals of Britain at the East Grimstead Reading Room hosted by The Friends of Bentley Wood. I met a friend from Lodge there as well as two members of our church. The illustrated talk was given by a resident of Alderbury who has travelled some 4,000 miles along our waterways. He knew his subject well and showed some interesting slides of the boats, bridges, locks and wildlife of the canals. Many locations were well known to me including the famous Falkirk Wheel. Of much local interest, and something I knew nothing about, was the description of the Southampton to Salisbury Canal with photos of its remains including a lock chamber at appropriately named village of Lockerley. Having told us of its location, I think I will cycle out to it shortly before the spring foliage obscures it. Having got back home at 10 a.m. I find that Sara's cough seems to be getting worse. She does have an appointment to see the doctor but not until Friday morning. Poor dear, it must be irritating for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment