Monday, February 08, 2010

Titanic Plans

My second Monday of not commuting into Dorking - this week it seemed stranger than last; probably because last week felt more like a holiday but after a week of not going to work it feels a bit unnatural. I didn't see much of Sara today as she left for Gillingham (the Dorset one) after breakfast to spend the morning and lunchtime with our good friend Serena. I left home, myself, at lunchtime to drive across to Brighton to attend a meeting of my Mother Lodge (Civic) in the evening - staying with Peter again in Hove. As I left it started to snow quite heavily but did not settle. I had a lovely evening in Brighton. The ceremony, in which I had quite a bit to do, went exceedingly well and even Peter expressed pleasure - an accolade indeed. I also managed to win a bottle of wine in the raffle - this is beginning to be a habit! The only faux pas I committed was toasting the Provincial Grand Officers for Wiltshire instead of Sussex! Had I not been corrected I would have been toasting myself and would have had to reply to my own toast! Our WM has been scouring the car boot sales for White Star/Titanic memorabilia and with a big grin on his face presented me with two picture frames - one containing a well known facsimile of a White Star poster advertising Olympic and Titanic and the other containing some yellowing deck plans of the ships date stamped 1912 which I have seen reproduced in books. It is hard to say whether these plans actually date from 1912 but I will let Aldridges of Devizes look at them. Unfortunately there is no providence but they certainly appear old. After the meeting we returned to Peter's for coffee and as he had to get up early in the morning I took the opportunity to have an early night after checking my iPod for emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment