Saturday, February 27, 2010

A great win for Saints

A quiet morning. After cooking pancakes for breakfast, Tom and I stayed at home whilst Sara and Mary went into Salisbury for Mary's ballet class. Tom spent most of the morning upstairs in the family room while I washed pots and generally tidied up. I also wrote a couple of letters and dealt with this morning's fairly light mail. I raised the Saints flag (to mark Saints' home game against Walsall this afternoon) and took a few photographs of it, fluttering in quite a strong wind, with my new small Canon digital camera. I am finding it very easy to use and I can now also record video and download onto the laptop for publishing on the Internet. I am sure that as retirement proceeds I will learn, with increasing proficiency, how to get the best from all the technology I now seem to have at my disposal. Tom and I left for Southampton at the usual time of 12.30 p.m. The traffic in that city was appalling today. A brand new cruise liner, MSC Magnifica, was in dock having arrived from the builders in France only yesterday. She is destined to cross the Atlantic to Florida to take up her cruising duties. After a lunch of fish and chips in St. Mary's Street, Tom and I made our way to St. Mary's stadium where we bought our programme from Nikki. Andy from Chepstow was not there today as his wife, Sarah, is having back surgery so I had my Tom sitting on my right and the other Tom on my left. The elder Tom is also going to the Tranmere game next Saturday so we tentatively agreed to meet in Aigburth at some time during the weekend as he is also staying in south Liverpool (Woolton) not far from Malcolm with whom I shall be staying. Such a small world. My Tom will be going to Holland with the school and so will not be joining me in Liverpool next weekend. Today's game got off to a brisk start with Walsall scoring after only three minutes (see action shot of their goal taken with my new camera). Saints equalised five minutes later with a debut goal by Puncheon and by half time the Saints were 3-1 up with a brace from Lee Barnard. The Southmapton players were on top form this afternoon and a two further goals produced a final scoreline of 5-1 (goals from Lambert and Lallana). A most satisfactory performance. Saints now have a positive goal difference of 21 but still remain seventeen points short of a play-off position. The 10-point deduction at the beginning of the season is really now telling. Back home, Sara and I put the final touches to the Food for Thought service for tomorrow. My biggest worry isn't the theology or my talk (I can't call it a sermon) but rather how do we cook 180 fish fingers and 5 kilos of chips in time for the food bit of FFT? The only bit I feel confident about is the heating up of a giant tin of mushy peas! Sara assures me it will all go well. My blog for tomorrow will record whether that is the case. The theme of the talk is putting your faith in God and not being able to hide from him. I guess I am also putting my faith in Sara. As for hiding....!

No comments:

Post a Comment