Saturday, February 06, 2010

Teenagers go to the Dogs

Yet another early start this morning - and another cooked breakfast - this time at our local hostelry the Lord Nelson. It was a meeting of the monthly Men's Breakfast Group where we fellow Christian men set down over a full English breakfast and discuss ethical matters. Today we asked ourselves the question - why did God allow Haiti to happen? Of course we cannot know the answer to such a great and vexing question but we did, nevertheless, proffer some views. Because I lead a house group it seemed that the question was mainly directed to me!. I suggested that God did not make the world perfect, that it is a living planet and Mankind chooses to live where he does. Pain and suffering are part and parcel of the free life which He gives us. I ventured to say that God does not cause these things but he does allow them to happen for His own purpose. A purpose which we cannot understand. I returned home (on foot) having decided to leave the car in the drive this morning after buying a morning paper. Back home Tom was playing darts in the back garden and his two friends, John and James came round to play on his Xbox and have lunch. I spent the afternoon writing letters and completing the accounts for the Oceanic Steam Navigation companies still owned by me and my ex-wife. That done it struck me, for some reason ("random" James would call it) that it would be a great idea to take the lads to Poole for the greyhound racing. Having cleared it with their parents we set off at 5.30 p.m. to Poole. The journey was a nightmare with a massive traffic jam around Downton caused by three-way temporary traffic lights at the villages main junction with the A338. It took us the best part of 30 minutes to cover 3 miles. Fortunately, the greyhound racing wasn't particularly well-attended tonight and although we didn't arrive until 7.00 p.m. we managed to get a table to sit at near the bar. We had a great evening, the lads really enjoying it - especially John and James who had never experienced dog racing before. I won £15 and John £4.40. not bad. It paid for the meal and we nearly had a big win right at the end. Both of the newcomers would like to go again. I arrived back home at 11.30 p.m. feeling pretty tired but so less stressed than before. I am writing this blog up before I go to bed although it is nearly 1 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment