Sunday, February 21, 2010

Thinking Day

A usual Sunday - church in the morning at All Saints where Judith conducted the Parish Eucharist and Sara helped lead the Junior Church. It was good to see Judith back after her family's sabbatical. It was a lovely service and well attended too although the first reading from Deuteronomy was unexpected. After coffee I walked back home feeling I needed the exercise after so many lovely meals recently and such awful weather precluding me from any major walking or cycling - things I intend doing when the weather improves. This afternoon I concentrated on getting my articles written for the parish magazine which involved not only typing them out but some scanning and PDF conversion. I am getting quite technically competent now with no IT department available to help me out when things go wrong. Whilst I was doing this, Sara and Mary went to Romsey Abbey to a "Thinking Day" service where Mary gave a reading and did very well by all accounts. I think we all need to take time out for thought from time to time - I know I always benefit from a bit of "thinking time" during the day. It used to be during my daily commute to work. I started the evening meal of roast chicken by putting the chicken in the oven and preparing all the vegetables - Sara finishing off on her return. Tonight I went to the Choral Evensong at Farley where the preacher was Canon Chris Savage from Cambridge - an industrial team chaplain. His sermon struck quite a chord - the essence of it being that very often those in need of the church are those who think the church is only for the well-off middle classes and that we need to get down with the people who most need us through such ministries. It also remiknded me that there is now only one week before I lead the service next Sunday afternoon at FFT. After dinner I walked down to the Lion's Head and spent a couple of hours over a couple of pints with Richard - putting the world to rights, as Sara would have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment