Sunday, August 01, 2010

Barns

I was the only one of the family to attend church this morning - everybody else opting to have a lie-in. I made myself some breakfast and decided to walk the mile to the church where Elizabeth was presiding over the All Age Eucharist service. It was, as usual, of a very high standard with readings from Ecclesiastes and Luke emphasising the need to share and not to be greedy and horde ("all is meaningless" and what good does it do a man to build bigger barns to horde his grain rather than share his good fortune). Elizabeth used candles and a jam jar to illustrate that if you try and put a lid on your light, it will get snuffed out whereas sharing your light increases its intensity and good fortune shines on many more. She used a picture of an empty barn with an open door (see picture). No doubt if Sara had attended she would have put these lessons to good use with a reference to my study and the horde of books it contains. I walked back home with Klynn who stopped for a coffee. I then mowed the lawns today although there has been little growth (other than the weeds) in the last few weeks. We had an early lunch of roast chicken and I later met Richard down at the Lion's Head this evening for a pint or two (of cider). The weather remains very hot and humid (heavy) and makes one very tired. I am really longing for some cooler fresher weather with some rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment