Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First Win for Saints in the Carling Cup 2010

Another rainy day. Woke up and made tea and after reading my devotionals got up showered and joined the family for breakfast. Sara and I had smoked haddock kedgeree and the children bacon and hash browns. The children accompanied me into Salisbury this morning - first to PC World to check out Tom's laptop which seemed to be having problems staying connected to the Internet. It appears that the wireless switch might be sensitive and after looking at it for 15 minutes or so it seemed to be working - a hardware rather than a software problem it seems. WE went into the city proper and I parked my car in one of the side roads at the end of Endless Street where I can park free for two hours. I visited the HSBC bank, library, post office, market (where I bought some samphire for supper later in the week and some cherries) and we all had a light lunch at Reeves the Baker's sitting under a dripping parasol. Back home, I rang all the names on my list of subscribers to the Bible Reading Fellowship publications and dealt with some mail and emails. Tom and I went into Southampton this evening for the Carling Cup clash between Saints and the Cherries (Bournemouth). The traffic driving into Southampton was atrocious and it took half an hour from Romsey to the Redbridge Roundabout - presumably football traffic from Bournemouth contributing towards the log-jam. We arrived at my usual car park with half an hour to spare before kick-off. We walked to the ground over the Central Bridge (which is still closed to traffic for strengthening) and had a hot dog and burger in the ground (their choice of culinary "delights" has lessened). We took our seats with about 5 minutes to go to kick-off - John and his son were there. The first half was poor and at halftime, although the score was 0-0, I have to say that Bournemouth looked the better side. Saints improved in the second half and a cracking curving ball into the back of the net from Lallana on 63 minutes boosted morale (Saints had been booed off the pitch at the end of the first half) both for the players and supporters. A goalkeeping and defending error by Bournemouth secured a second goal for Saints by Alex Chamberlain. We went away feeling very happy although disappointed at Saints' first half performance and hoping something can be done in league games to prevent it happening again.

No comments:

Post a Comment