Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Sporting Day in Hampshire

The alarm woke me at 5 a.m. today and I remembered that Richard was to call for me at 6.15 a.m. to drive us to Paulton's Golf Course for our 7 a.m. round. The wind was hammering on the window and I assumed that it was lashing down with rain again like yesterday. However, when I went outside I found it dry and the wind surprisingly warm. The ground was still extremely wet from yesterday's torrents but it didn't seem we would get particularly wet. I had a mug of tea and a lightly toasted English muffin with marmalade. Richard arrived a little early and we were actually on the first tee at 6.45 a.m. I have to admit that neither of us played the best golf and I was a little disappointed after such a good round at Wilton last week. We had to suffer drizzle for the first three holes and played in our waterproof jackets. However as the round progressed the weather did improve - but not the golf! It is certainly true what they say - to improve your game you must play at least twice a week. We are still not playing sufficiently frequently enough to improve our game by any large measure. We had such good intentions of playing full round golf on a more regular basis but both of us seem to have so many other things to do - not least church work and trying to run a small business. We finished at 11 a.m. and had a coffee in the club house. The course was, by this time, full of lady golfers all dressed in pink for what we assumed was a breast cancer support event. We had an early lunch at The Vine of fish and chips before returning home. I felt quite stiff and tired and had a very short nap when I got back. Refreshed, I went into the study and dealt with some correspondence not least refiling the accounts for a client to incorporate the new companies legislation references for dormant companies. This evening Sara went to Potterne for one of her Vie parties and I took Tom to Sparsholt College near Winchester for a friendly football match against an Arsenal Select Eleven. I was not best pleased to find, after a sixteen mile journey, that he had forgotten his football boots! As I explained to him - his kit is his responsibility. It would just be like me driving over to Paulton's this morning without my clubs! Fortunately, they were playing two halves of 45 minutes and I was able to drive back home, pick up his boots and return before the second half began. Tom actually got on before the end of the first half and the game was abandoned 30 minutes after the start of the second half due to bad light and our old friend the rain. Tom's team did, however, beat Arsenal 2-1. Back home it was hot baths and showers and I then put my feet up and watched an interesting documentary about the destruction of the French Fleet by the British at Mers-el-Kebir in 1940, thought by many French as an act of unnecessary treachery by their British Allies. Sara, who arrived home from Potterne was very interested to learn of this amazing act.

No comments:

Post a Comment