Sunday, August 22, 2010

Shabbat

I had difficulty sleeping in the night, again. It remains quite muggy. I woke up and watched a couple of programmes on TV before going back to bed at 4 a.m. where I slept until about 7 a.m. We all walked to St. John's Church this morning for the Praise Service conducted by Linda. Again, it was very uplifting and thought-provoking. Its theme was the Sabbath or Shabbat as it is known in Hebrew. It is very interesting to think of what we do and don't do on the seventh day. We stayed for coffee in the Team Office afterwards except for Tom who preferred to walk home. He doesn't enjoy the chit-chat after church. Mary and I went blackberry picking again this afternoon whilst Peter managed to complete all but about 20 feet of the fence. It looks really good although being lower than the hedge, my astronomical observations may be affected by the glare coming from some of the houses in Middleton Road which could not be seen before. Mary and I went to Five Rivers Leisure Centre for an hours swimming and we were both quite gripped by a radio dramatisation of Neville Shute's book No Highway. In fact we sat outside the leisure centre waiting for the episode to end. Returning from swimming, I mowed the back lawn before the promised deluge of rain arrived. This is the first time I have cut it for several weeks. It had been too dry to cut and latterly it has been strewn with debris from the erstwhile hedge. Sara roasted a gammon for dinner and then helped Mary pack for her Brownie Camp Week next week. The rain is pouring down outside as I write this at 10.30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment