Saturday, August 28, 2010

Goodnight Irene! You'll see Saints in your dreams!

I woke at 7 a.m. today and made tea for myself and Sara. I didn't need to get up quite so early as Tom and I were not leaving for Bristol until about 10.30 a.m. I went back to bed and after reading my devotionals snoozed for an hour. Finally getting up, I showered and Sara cooked bacon rolls for Tom and me. We left for Bristol at about 10.20 a.m. and drove over Salisbury Plain to Devizes, Chippenham and down the M4/M32 to the Memorial Ground in Horfield, Bristol - home of Bristol Rovers FC. After parking on MullerRoad, we found a chippie in Gloucester Road - Tom had sausage and chips and I had a grilled shish kebab and salad. We entered the ground about an hour before kick-off and sat and read the excellent matchday programme produced by BRFC. We found the stewards and staff most friendly and courteous. Saints fans took the whole of the away end (the marquee as I call it) as well as all the open terrace reserved for visting supporters. The ground was a capacity sell-out (8,226 attendance) of which nearly 2,000 must have been Saints fans. Saints were "on fire" from the start and by half time were 2-0 in the lead. Two more goals in the second half and a clean sheet from Kelvin Davis secured a well deserved and important 4-0 victory. Our goal difference changed in this one match from -1 to 3 and our position in the table from 20th to 14th. Another win like that and we should find ourselves in the play-off positions. Goals came from Fonte (10th minute); Lallana (34th minute); Lambert (penalty in the 59th minute) and a late goal in extra time from Barnard (90+1). No singing of "Good Night Irene" from the Gasheads. The singing was replaced by taunts of "Is there a fire drill?" from the Saints supporters as the Gasheads started streaming out of the ground early, knowing that their team had been thrashed by Southampton. We were fortunate to get away from Bristol within 45 minutes of the end of the game and drove home via Westbury where Tom and I had an excellent Chinese meal at my old friend "Champions" in Warminster Road. After this supper we arrived back in Winterslow at 9.00 p.m. A very happy day. The long drive over to Bristol was fully worth it for me to see Bristol Rovers lose for the first time (every match I have seen them play - against both Grimsby Town and Saints has resulted in a Rovers' victory; but not today. Irene has clearly not woken up today!

No comments:

Post a Comment