Friday, February 11, 2011

A Day at the Dockyard and Basil the Rat

Another wet and windy day today. After seeing the children off to school, and after Sara had seen a marketing expert in the village to talk about her calendar, we both went off, in separate cars, to attend Sophie's coffee morning at Dean Church. Sara is conducting some Myers-Briggs work for the church and dropped off one of the forms. I stayed about half an hour (Sara longer) and was just leaving when Nils arrived. We exchanged a few pleasantries and I then drove off to Portsmouth where I exchanged some Tesco vouchers Sara had given me for an annual pass to the Royal Naval Dockyard Museum complex. I spent a lovely couple of hours exploring HMS Warrier and visiting the Trafalgar Experience and viewing the Victory's Trafalgar foremast topsail. It was sad, though, to see HMS Ark Royal being stripped as it lay in the dockyard. HMS Invincible, also in the Dockyard, has already been gutted and awaits its fate at the hands of Turkish shipbreakers. The once mighty Royal Navy is a shadow of its former glory. I had a really enjoyable few hours looking around the museum with still plenty left to see for a further visit. Before leaving Portsmouth, I visited the cathedral in the old town and lit a candle before having some quiet prayer time. As soon as I got home I could see that Sara was not a happy bunny. She quietly told me, in the kitchen, that she had been out to put some potato peelings in the compost and a rat had sat looking up at her on the top of the compost! When I looked in I saw nothing, although there did seem to be a hole where it had burrowed down and, presumably out! I have explained to Sara that if you live in the country, these are the sorts of things you need to expect. We've only been living in a rural setting for eleven years! The kids are out tonight at the Youth Club and Sara is also up there with them doing some makeovers or something for the girls. This has left me alone this evening to get on with some important paperwork I need completing for next week. It has been a nice day today - apart from the Basil the Rat experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment