Sunday, February 27, 2011

Maureen - you may go now - RIP

Up quite early today – a long day and drive ahead. I attended the Early Morning Eucharist at St. John’s rather than the Praise Service at All Saints for two reasons – first of all I felt I need to take Holy Communion this morning as it is the day of Maureen’s Requiem Mass and Funeral service and secondly because I wanted to be on the road up to Leeds by 10.30 a.m. Jane took the Eucharist in her calm gentle way which was just right. Sara took the children to the Praise Service and after getting all my things together I left for Bradford just after 10 a.m. I had a reasonably clear journey (250 miles) but with some torrential rain on the way. I arrived at the Travel Lodge in Bradford just before 3 p.m. after a couple of stops en route. I found that St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church was only 15 minutes drive away and so the hotel, whilst rather “functional” was ideally located although I was a little disappointed to find that they imposed a GBP3 car park charge for 24 hours – a hidden extra in the price. I arrived at St. Joseph’s a good half an hour early but spent that time in prayer and reading the wonderful eulogy written by Stephen contained in the Order of Service. Although not a great lover of the Roman Catholic liturgy, I found the service surprising uplifting and the liturgy not dissimilar to our own. However, only communicants of the Roman Catholic faith were invited to partake of the elements (host in RC terms) and so I simply went up for a blessing (being very glad indeed that I had taken the elements at St. John’s this morning). It was lovely to see all the Mulrine family again – even if it was in unwished circumstances – and I had an opportunity to chat to many at the Bank House pub afterwards. I left at around 9 p.m. feeling too tired to write up this blog – but gave Sara a call and discussed the day’s events. The Praise Service had been successful and Sophie from West Dean had joined Sara and the family. Apparently, and rather ironically, they had been making rosaries in church this morning! There was a lovely poem in Maureen’s Order of Service which I found most comforting and which I will reproduce here in its entirety in case I should forget or lose it:

May I Go Now?

May I go now? Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days and endless nights?

I’ve lived my life and done my best, an example tried to be
So can I take that step beyond and set my spirit free?

I didn’t want to go at first, I fought with all my might
But something seems to draw me now to a warm and loving light.

I want to go, I really do. It’s difficult to stay,
But I will try as best I can to live just one more day,

To give you time to care for me and share your love and fears.
I know you’re sad and so afraid because I see your tears

I’ll not be far…I promise that, and hope you’ll always know,
My spirit will be close to you wherever you may go.

Thank you so much for loving me, and I know I love you too.
That’s why it’s hard to say goodbye and end this life with you.

So hold me now, just one more time, and let me hear you say,
Because you care so much for me, you’ll let me go this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment