Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Positive Motivation

Another very full day today with another very early start. “Suited and booted” I attended an employment law update seminar at the offices of Trethowans, solicitors, in Salisbury. Despite the fact that it was a breakfast seminar, I resisted the temptation to partake of the sickly pastries but did succumb to a croissant with my cup of coffee. I met one of my former colleagues from Friends Provident at the seminar who is now working in HR for a charity dealing with problems of addiction which is based out in the wilds of rural Wiltshire. It was good to receive an update on such topics as age discrimination, paternity leave and pensions. I also had an opportunity to have a chat with Jon, the employment partner afterwards. Following the meeting, and as I was in Salisbury already, I spent an hour in the gym – my third visit this week. It is getting much easier to motivate myself to go there now. I have discovered that if I stop going I find it very hard to get the incentive to go again but if I keep going then it becomes a good habit. This afternoon, Sara went on her LPA training and I picked up Mary from school – walking there and back. Mary is never keen on walking but with the price of fuel, and the need to ensure that I get exercise (not to mention green issues); I try to walk locally whenever possible. Sara returned home just before 5 p.m. – in time for me to rush up to the Rectory for my meeting with Nils. As it happened, Nils had only just got home himself. We spent 45 minutes in a useful discussion. Tonight I felt quite exhausted and Sara and I had quite a long conversation about parenting skills with a teenage son and how our own characters and behaviours are likely to change as a result of the ministries we are likely to be called upon to fulfill in the future. I am so lucky to be married to Sara – a real soul mate who is prepared to expend all her positive energy to support others – especially her family. On a lighter note, I wonder whether that positive motivation will express itself in a weight loss tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment