Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lessons from History


A day at home today spent in the study; but a momentous one as I managed to complete my latest essay (on Malachi and the lessons his prophesy to the Jewish nation contains for all of us today) and submitted it online to my tutor.  I now await her comments and hope that it won't need too much amending.  I shall be happy with the same sort of mark I have received for my last two.  I walked Mary to school this morning and took a long walk back through the copse across to Weston Lane and back down the lane to home.  This evening, following the completion of my essay I watch an absolutely fascinating programme on the Military Channel entitled The Third Reich - The Rise.  For a long time Sara has found it hard to understand how a cultured nation such as Germany could have stood by and watched the monster, Hitler, and his henchmen seize power and wield such cruelty.  This documentary showed many amateur cine films of contemporary Germany in the 1930's giving the viewer an idea of what life was like for the average German family.  I think Sara is beginning to understand how it occurred and why nobody (or very few) spoke out against the regime.  I do hope that Tom and I do get our trip to Poland in the summer.  The Holocaust is something which needs to be taught in every school and I am pleased that Tom's school is taking a group over to Poland.  Tom is not going with the school preferring to go with me so that we can spend a bit more time reflecting on this particular piece of history.   Having been to Auschwitz before, I can probably prepare him better for the harrowing experience which I had when I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment