Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Warhorse and Tragedy


Sara was relieved of her duties at Morning Star today and so could stay at home this morning.  I went to Mid-Week Eucharist at St. John's which was conducted today by Nils.  This evening we decided to go as a family to the cinema to see the much acclaimed film by Steven Spielberg - War Horse- based on the children's novel of that name by Michael Morpurgo.  What an excellent film and one which everyone should see.  It had me crying at the end so I will not spoil the story and ending for those who have yet to see it.  Its images of warfare during the Great War is graphic and I believe really does give one a feeling for how horrible that conflict must have been - for man and beasts.  Brilliant is the only way to describe it.  I will really have to see it again so that I can, at least, see those parts of the film which I only saw through tear-blurred eyes.  Sadly, just before we left to see the film I picked up a message from Auntie Mim in Cleethorpes to tell my that my 37 years old cousin, Mandy, had died last night.  She had been suffering from a brain tumour for some years now and we had been praying for her weekly at church.  Tragically, she leaves two small children and a husband who is, himself, suffering from acute kidney problems.  What an absolute tragedy.  We will try and get to the funeral up in Lincolnshire if at all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment