Monday, April 15, 2013

Sara's Birthday - And another disaster strikes!

Sara’s 54th birthday today – and also a day of anniversaries of disasters  - Lincoln’s assassination, Titanic sinking, Hillsborough Stadium disaster.  Unfortunately, today another one was added to that list – the Boston Marathon bombing and as I write this the full effects of these double explosions is still to be revealed.  I worked this morning on finalising my church history essay which I sent off to my tutor.  Sara and I then drove to Romsey and Chandler’s Ford to photograph the various houses in which she had lived both with her parents and later on her own or in her previous married life.  We did get a few worried stares from neighbours as I got out of the car and took photographs – especially in the Close where she had lived with her parents next door to Myrna (see photograph).  After our photographic expedition, and a brief stop at Asda’s for some important shopping, Sara and I went to the Water Margin Chinese Restaurant in North Baddesley for a light meal from their business lunch menu – soup, a main course and coffee/tea.  I must enjoyable meal and an opportunity to chat.  It is always good to take time out from our busy schedules.   We stopped briefly in Romsey to post letters and get some birthday cakes from Waitrose to take back for tea with the kids.  I felt really tired after not having slept very well last night so slumped on the couch and watched the baseball game from Boston (Boston Red Sox v. Tampa Bay Rays).  Boston won 3-2.  I was amazed to see so many families at the game on a Monday until the commentator told us that it is Patriot’s Day in the USA.  Little did I know that Boston would hit the headlines only a matter of a couple of hours later when the two bombs exploded in Boylston Street downtown.  We watched on TV as the horror unfolded.  Sara’s Somerset flag will be replaced by the Stars and Stripes at half-mast tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment