Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The day they buried Margaret Thatcher


Today saw the Ceremonial Funeral of Baroness Thatcher take place in London which, I was delighted to see, went off without any major incident – just a small number of protestors on Ludgate Hill and some celebrations in the former coal mining villages and towns of Yorkshire – Goldthorpe for example where an effigy of the former prime minister was burned after a mock funeral procession.  Because of a long staff meeting I had to attend in Alderbury, I missed the funeral service itself – only seeing the cortege take the body from Westminster to St. Clement Danes and the beginning of the gun carriage procession towards St. Paul’s Cathedral.   I was picked up by Debbie outside the Methodist Church and together with Nils we drove over to Alderbury for a meeting which lasted until 2.30 p.m.  Arriving back home at 3 p.m. I had a telephone conference with a client.  I then wrote up my sky at night article for the Parish Magazine before having a home made Chinese meal prepared by Sara.  I then drove over to Seend near Devizes for my next tutorial session in which we discussed the meaning of the term pastoral care and started discussing “personhood” – what does it mean to be a person and how does this differ from being any other animal and finally the concept of “health” – what is a healthy person?  This brought into play a number of questions about ethics, healing, reconciliation and so on.  Quite a philosophical and psychological session.  Finally arrived back home at 10.30 p.m. and watched some of Baroness Thatcher’s funeral on the television and proof read and sent off my magazine article.

No comments:

Post a Comment