Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Seriously Worrying to Seriously Funny

The weather was much milder today but still quite windy.  I hoisted the Stars and Stripes to half mast following yesterday’s tragic bombing in Boston.  Now 3 dead and 170 injured.  It appears that the bombs were contained in pressure cookers inside trash cans to cause maximum destruction.  There are still not ideas as to who was responsible.  Worked at home this morning and this afternoon Sara drove me to Salisbury Hospital’s eye clinic where I was to have tests for glaucoma following a diagnosis of high eye pressure by the opticians.  It is a mandatory precautionary measure when the eyeball pressure readings get to a certain level.  Sara dropped me off and then went back home to pick up Thom and bring him back to Salisbury to buy some shoes.  I had been told that as my eyes would be dilated, I should not drive for at least two hours after the tests. I was subjected to three or four tests – measuring the pressure in my eyes, and other thorough tests.  At one point I was given a small booklet on coping with glaucoma and explaining what it is and how it is controlled (but can’t be treated).  I must say, it wasn’t the most comforting of reads!  After further tests with my eyes dilated the doctor gave me her verdict.  Apparently I have rather thick corneas which mean that a greater pressure has to be exerted by the optician’s instruments and thereby gives a false high eyeball pressure reading.  They will therefore write a letter to my GP and optician to keep to show that higher readings than normal can be expected but that there is nothing at all wrong with my actual eyeball pressure and no sign of developing glaucoma.  After reading the booklet they had given me, the final verdict was quite a relief.  Tonight, Sara, Esther, Debbie and I went to St. Paul’s church to see Adrian Plass and Jeff Lucas in “Seriously Funny”.  Some old gags which we’ve heard before (we only saw Adrian Plass last week at Minehead) but still amusing.  We also met up with some old friends and had a thoroughly enjoyable evening.  Tonight I heard that Cardiff City have been promoted to the Premier League and Portsmouth relegated to League 2.  How football can change in five years.  Five years ago Portsmouth (Premier League) beat Cardiff City (Championship League) in the FA Cup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment