Monday, February 10, 2014

Down by the Seaside - Brighton

A really long day today which once again started with heavy rain.  Thom was feeling unwell so didn't go into college today.  As it happened that solved a problem as I was spending the afternoon and night in Brighton and so would not be able to pick him up this afternoon - Sara also had to take Mary to ballet and so could not have been in two places at the same time.  The morning seemed to pass extremely quickly.  Sara left for work at around 11 a.m. and I realised I wouldn't see her again for over twenty-four hours.  I tried to get away at 1 p.m. but didn't leave Winterslow until 1.30 p.m. arriving at Peter's house in Hove at 3.40 p.m.  Bruno, our Masonic colleague, had arranged to pick Peter up and take him into Brighton and arrived at exactly the same time.  I quickly changed and got my regalia and other pieces together and we set off just after 4 p.m. for a quick rehearsal.  It was very good to see old friends again - many of whom I realised I hadn't seen since March last year.  I enjoyed a good ceremony (3rd Degree) and thinking I wouldn't have to take any part at all - for the first time in several decades it seems! - I was suddenly called upon to act as Junior Deacon for a part of the ceremony.  As a Senior Provincial Deacon in Wiltshire I could hardly refuse - so I still haven't attended a meeting of my mother lodge without doing some work!  Maybe one day. We enjoyed a really excellent meal after the meeting - Spanish omelette, Lancashire Hot Pot and Jam Roly Poly pudding and custard.  Peter and I arrived back at his home at around 10 p.m. and over a number of cups of coffee we chatted about a wide variety of topics until 2.20 am!  We had so much to catch up on.  A really enjoyable evening topped by me winning a bottle of sparkling wine in the raffle. In fact I had to ask for some raffle tickets immediately before the draw was made as I been missed when they came round with them.  I ended up winning second prize!  "Fix" I hear you cry!

No comments:

Post a Comment