Tuesday, February 04, 2014

More Flooding and Sin (or where is Noah?)

Up very early again this morning to attend the joint Ambassadors and Bollanack & Bishop networking breakfast at the Grasmere House Hotel, Harnham.  No one minute elevator pitches today which made for a more relaxed breakfast chat.  I had an opportunity to have a good chat with the senior partner of Bollanack's offering my services as a legal consultant should the occasion arise.  I returned back home after calling in at All Saints Church where I hoped to pick up a copy of the parish magazine but found there were no copies there.  I did, however, have an opportunity to have a nice chat to Janice, the organist, who was practising some tricky pieces.  Apparently she thought that I had been due to preach on Sunday in Winterslow, which would have been nice, but I couldn't recall seeing it on the rota.  No problem as I am now having a free month off from Clarendon duties and I explained to Janice that I would be going off to St. Francis's for a short spell during Lent and Holy Week.  Having been unsuccessful in obtaining a magazine, I called upon Peter, who lives next door but one to us, as he is the local deliverer.  He recently lost his mother, with whom he lived, after a long illness and he was delighted when I called.  We had coffee together and my quick call for a magazine became a half an hour pastoral visit. Sara and I have invited him to join us for afternoon tea on Friday when I get back from chaplaincy duties and picking Thom up from the bus.  Back in my office, I dealt with some legal work and handled quite a bit of correspondence.  I was reasonably happy with the amount I got through although there is always more to do! It started raining very heavily tonight as Sara and I set off for St. Paul's for our weekly study group - Encountering Christianity.  Tonight we tackled sin and some analogies were drawn with the Titanic disaster.  do we hide our sin from the world just as the extent of the damage and chaos below decks didn't at first reach the calm of the upper decks!  Returning home via Pitton we encountered terrible flooding and at one stage we really could have believed that we were motoring along a river.  I drove slowly to avoid flooding the engine and at times also had to drive on the wrong side of the road to avoid deep "lakes".  We are in for more of the same tomorrow.  Will it ever stop?  I cannot go for my long walks in the woods because it is just too boggy. Another day in the office tomorrow I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment