Friday, February 07, 2014

Thom's 17th Birthday

Sara took Thom to the Wallops this morning to allow me to drive into Salisbury to attend the Ambassadors' Breakfast meeting at the Grasmere Hotel.  It being Thom's 17th birthday today, I first of all called into Waitrose to get some cash to give to him as a birthday present.  Thom had already indicated that he didn't want to open any presents until this evening.  After the breakfast meeting I returned home for a short while before visiting a couple of parishioners rom West Dean, where I am a regular officiant, who had not been to church recently because of illness.  We had a lovely chat for half an hour over coffee before I had to rush off for another meeting with the parish clerk concerning some legal issues involving the parish council which I, as Deputy Chairman and a lawyer, had been asked to look at.  Fortunately this didn't take long and I was at Alabare on chaplaincy duty by 12 noon.  I picked up Thom from Stockbridge this afternoon and also bought Cara a lovely little miniature watering can containing grape hyacinths as a "birthing" present - I usually buy her something on the children's birthdays.  Peter, our next door but one neighbour called in for afternoon tea and cake - cherry cake and chocolate cake which Sara has baked that afternoon together with our best china cups, saucers and plates - quite a treat.  Mum phoned briefly to wish Thom a happy birthday although Thom is not very good when it comes to receiving unexpected phone calls.  I was a little upset with his abruptness - he later told us that he had not had a very good day at school.  I went out for a brisk walk to the Lord Nelson and had a pint and a chat with some of the locals.  This evening we ate an Indian takeaway from Stockbridge - another unusual treat these days - and I watch a Star Wars movie upstairs.  Another long day awaits tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment