Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Great Bake-In !

I took Thom to catch his bus at Nether Wallop this morning and worked at home for most of the day.  Our friends Andrew and Kath left us this morning to return to the Lake District via a meeting in Manchester.  I had promised to bake a cake for tonight's Exploring Christianity course at St. Paul's.  I have only ever baked a cake once before - many many years ago - and not terribly successfully.  I was really expecting anything much better.  Sara supervised me as I mixed up the ingredients for a Victoria Sponge cake which was then placed in the oven for 30 minutes.  The result was two models of the surface of the moon which we debated as to whether to place in the bin.  In the end, by upending each half, filling the centre with jam and spreading butter icing over the top we were able to produce something quite edible although it certainly wouldn't have won any prizes in a village show or in the Great Bake-Off.  As they had had a really busy day yesterday they didn't get up very early and we all had a late breakfast - mid-morning.  I had originally intended to go into Sarum College to write up my first assignment for Christian Ethics but as it started to rain heavily and much of the prep. work I could do in the study, I decided to stay at home today.  Sara was working on some of the invoices she was having to collate for her new employer.  Sara picked up Thom this evening from Nether Wallop and I read some of the material for tonight's Exploring Christianity course at St. Paul's which we attended, complete with home made (very rustic looking) cake. The resultant cake was well received - especially by Keith who would eat anything I think - and was actually very tasty - thanks to the butter cream spread on the top - over half of it was consumed and even Mary had a slice (she is very discerning) when we got back.  Tonight we talked about Grace - how appropriate.  Returning home, and feeling quite shattered, we both went to bed quite early.  Tomorrow I want to make up for some lost time and go into Sarum College after Mid-week Eucharist.

No comments:

Post a Comment