Sunday, February 02, 2014

Super Bowl!; Super Church!

Add caption
A great day today.  We had another bit of a lie in as Mary had a friend staying over and so didn't stir until quite late; Thom did his paper round and we didn't need to go to church until 11 a.m. as we had decided to go to St. Francis's in Salisbury - the church where I am to spend a couple of months shortly on placement.  Maya's father came over at breakfast time (10.15 a.m.) to pick her up and shortly afterwards Sara and I drove into Salisbury to attend the informal service at St. Francis's.  We immediately met people we both knew - two from Friends Provident days and also James from Winterslow and Penny, the pioneer minister whom I've met on a number of occasions in connection with my chaplaincy training and also she has come and seen me preach at Porton.  It was a very lively service with lots of children and worship songs quite common to Spring Harvest.  A really warm, friendly and spirit-filled occasion.  There was an informality yet spiritually uplifting feeling to the whole service and I know that I am going to really enjoy my placement in this joyous place.  We stayed only a short time for coffee as we had to get back for a Tesco's main delivery.  Sara cooked roast chicken and roast vegetables for a very lunch - absolutely yummy, and then I went to bed at around 5 p.m. in order to be up to watch the Super Bowl game with Thom at midnight.  The game started with high expectations for Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos but it soon became evident that they were no match for the Seahawks defense.  A "safety" within seconds of the game set the tone and Seattle Seahawks won the Super bowl by 43-8 - a massive whitewash.  Both Thom and I were hoping that the Broncos would win as the Seahawks has defeated our teams - the Panthers and the 49ers.  I finally went to bed at 3.40 a.m. and was up again at 7 a.m. A long day tomorrow with three meetings in the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment