Monday, May 25, 2009

A bike ride to East Grimstead (Sewage Works)

My bike riding yesterday must certainly have taken its toll on me as I didn't wake this morning until just before 10 a.m. This is absolutely unheard of usually! In fairness to myself, I had found it difficult to sleep as it was so warm and humid in the night and that humidity continued throughout today. We all had leisurely breakfasts - in my case kippers and porridge - and I did some tidying up in the kitchen and study. Mary decided that she wanted to go on another bike ride so at around 3 p.m. we set off again for Bentley Wood with the intention of cycling from one end to the other to emerge at the village of East Grimstead - a total of about seven miles in one direction. It was very hot indeed and we needed plenty of water as we cycled ever further south. We followed yesterday's paths as far as the centre of the wood and then took a wide track past Keeper's Cottage (a familiar name to those of you who are Archers' Fans) and on towards Ben Lane Gate. We veered off left towards East Grimstead but somehow we missed the turning for the Grimstead Gate and the village proper and eventually ended up by East Grimstead Sewage Works (or Waste Water Treatment Plant to give it its correct title!). Fortunately it was marked on the OS map and the sound of a train on the close-by Southampton to Salisbury line helped me locate exactly where we were. I had, sensibly, included a compass in my rucksack and so by using this and noting the position of the sun we were able to to find ourselves back on familiar territory by keeping a northerly heading. We saw a few deer (Mary thinks it was 5) and two slow worms as well as squirrels and numerous birds. By the time we got back, saddle sore and soaking wet with sweat, we had travelled 14 miles in total. Tonight we had a quick BBQ and the kids watched Britain's Got Talent whilst I soaked in the bath reading some papers for tomorrow when I am back in Dorking - they actually fell into the bath! This afternoon, Burnley, a football team I used to go and see play when I lived in Liverpool, beat Sheffield United (a War of the Roses) at Wembley to gain promotion to the top tier of English football for the first time in 33 years. Well done. I lowered the USA flag, which had flown today to mark the convening of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1787, and hoisted the red rose of Lancashire in its place by way of congratulating Burnley. I feel they may make their mark in the Premier League as have their close neighbours, Blackburn Rovers. Sara has spent this afternoon and evening putting the final touches to the parish magazine. I intended to have an early night but have just realised that it is already 11.35 p.m. so I'll stop now. A really enjoyable but sore day!

No comments:

Post a Comment