Thursday, May 07, 2009

Elisha, the bears and other weird bible stories

In Dorking today with Anthony as company for the long journey. I had no appointments until 4 p.m. when I had my 1:1 with my boss. I ate a packed lunch and worked through my lunch hour so as to leave a little early this evening to get back in time for the House Group. I chose a couple of songs for this evening by listening to my CDs in the car. My 1:1 went well and I was able to get away from Dorking this evening at just after 5 p.m. and got back home at around 7.20 p.m. having just finished listening to The Archers. We had the usual people round for the House Group this evening - Klynn, Dawn W, Ivan, Duncan and Maxime. Maxime brought along her wonderful home made pasties which are usually reserved for the homeless. They were soon demolished by those present. Tonight we discussed Session 2 of The Apprentice entitled "Longing". We had the two songs I chose, a bible reading from Isaiah (55:1-3) and the Steve Chalke DVD. Again we found the DVD very difficult to follow because of the fancy camera work which makes listening to the important messages so distracting. Following the House Group, Klynn stayed behind (as did Dawn for a short time) and we started picking out some of the absurd laws set out in Leviticus and Deuteronomy after Dawn told us she was giving her first reading in church next Sunday from Leviticus. We also had a good laugh at the passage in 2 Kings 2 where Elisha is jeered at by 42 youths who call him "baldy". They are set upon by two she bears sent by God! I am sure that bible study isn't really about picking out the funny bits to send to our friends but we had a fun time doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment