Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Another trip to Brighton

After such a lovely break over the bank holiday it was such a jolt to get up this morning and realise that I had to travel to Dorking to work. The traffic was not too bad, just a little busy around Guildford as normal. I had an appointment at 10 a.m. which, for some reason, I hadn't put in my manuscript diary. Fortunately I did remember and was able to deal with the questions put without too much difficulty. I ate a packed lunch today as I was leaving at 3.45 p.m. to go down to Brighton to attend a Royal Arch Chapter meeting at the Brighton Masonic Centre in Queens Road. I also had a document to deliver to my old address in Brighton. I was interested to see that Audrey's old house has been demolished and a brand new modern designed one is taking shape. Tongdean Rise seemed to be full of builders trucks and it was difficult to turn round in the small space at the end. My old house looked in reasonable shape but very little seemed to have changed since I lived there - the shrubs seemed bushier and there also seemed to be an abundance of greenery everywhere at the front. I drove down to Preston Park and parked my car in Kingsley Road and then took the train to Brighton Station. Whilst waiting for my train Sara telephoned me to let me know that she had taken Mary to Salisbury Hospital A & E following her having fallen from the "monkey bars" at the playground up at Stone Close and banged her head. Fortunately she was not badly hurt but had a large egg-sized bump on the back of her head. I arrived for the meeting in good time and it was a pleasant change to sit and watch the ceremony (an exaltation rehearsal) without having anything to do. The dinner tonight was excellent too - egg mayonnaise, salmon in a fantastic spicy sauce, banana trifle (with chocolate flake on the top which I gave to Barry) and cheese and biscuits. It was my last night as a member of the Chapter and I was toasted. It was a bit emotional - I've been a member for 15 years. I left the Chapter at 9.30 p.m. and was back in Preston Park and in my car at 9.45 p.m. arriving back home at 11.30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment