Monday, May 11, 2009

Golfing but no Boating

The working week can only ever get better when it starts with a commute to Dorking! The sun was already shining when I woke up at 5.30 a.m. I laid in bed (that wonderful moment) until around 6.15 a.m. luxuriating in the fact that I had had a "lie-in". I phoned Anthony at 6.30 a.m., as pre-arranged, to ensure that he would be on the train to Grateley at 7.15 a.m. so my journey to Grateley to pick him up would not be in vain. I hoisted the Thai flag as today marked the 60th anniversary of the change of the name of that country from Siam to Thailand. Anthony was waiting for me at Grateley Station when I arrived at 7.35 a.m. and I drove us both in to Dorking via the Hog's Back where the traffic ground to a halt near Guildford as is usual. We got in to Dorking at around 9.30 a.m. Anthony discussed his plans to go to Nottingham to see his friend and also his visit with family members to Nunhead Cemetery where there is an "open-day" on Saturday. I hope that doesn't mean "an opening" in the macabre sense! Apparently he has family ancestors buried there. I had a Senior Managers' Meeting at 10 a.m. and had a spot of lunch with Anthony et al (parsnip and apple soup followed by an unexciting chicken and mushroom pie) before another meeting in the afternoon on the topic of TUPE. That meeting took up most of the rest of the day. Sara told me that Tom had been ill at school again and that he had not got enough sleep last night and was not drinking enough water. He needs to ensure that he gets both. Sara also informed me that our proposed trip on the Galleys' boat was now to be replaced by an "all girls'" event and that us blokes would have to childmind on Sunday. Six or seven of them are all off on the "Bare Necessities" drinking champagne and cruising the Solent with the hunky crew. Am I envious - you bet!! - Not about the hunky crew, mind you, just the lost opportunity to steer a 98-foot yacht around in the shipping channels. I decided to take myself off to the golf course again and spent an hour before sunset playing 9-holes at Grateley where I did slightly better than on Saturday evening - 2 shots better in fact. Back home for a chicken curry and to pick up my emails including some more work to look at from Stop the Traffik. A reasonably early night tonight as I am off to Dorking again in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment