Sunday, May 31, 2009

Millvina Dean RIP

I have a heavy heart as I sit down to write this blog. I had intended to write my usual journal, and although I will record a few words of what we have done today, feel I must devote most of this blog to our dear friend Millvina Dean, the last (and youngest) survivor of the Titanic disaster who died on Saturday aged 97. We also learned this morning of the death of Nils's father in Sweden - all this news on the fourth anniversary of my own father's death in 2005. Millvina was a delightful lady and no doubt there will be many tributes to her over the coming days. We knew her personally and she attended our children's baptisms and my own 50th Birthday Party in 2003 when she became something of a star here in Winterslow. We visited her at her home in the New Forest on a number of occasions as well as in hospital. I regret not having seen her in the last couple of years when she was in a nursing home. She was always chirpy with a great sense of humour and was very fond of Sara and the children - she would send them Christmas presents every year until recently when she became very poorly. She will be sadly missed by all the Titanic fraternity - the last living link with the fateful night of 14th/15th April 1912. The Barratt Family will especially miss her - my mother included who also met her. My day seems quite ordinary now. I took Mary over to Whiteparish for the Team Pentecostal Eucharist presided over by Elizabeth in Nil's absence due to him being called to Sweden suddenly when his father's health deteriorated this week. Fortunately, he was able to be with his father during his last hours. It was a lovely service with the usual laying on of hands and receipt of the Holy Spirit. We had a Pimm's style punch afterwards - the weather being scorching again. At lunchtime I took Tom to the Clarendon Juniors prize giving at Barry's Fields (Sara and Mary joined us later). Tom picked up "Most Improved Player" award and "Manager's Player" award as well as his team medal. Well done. We were very proud of him. This afternoon, Sara and Mary went on the Food for Thought hike and barbecue in Bentley Wood whilst Tom, Samuel and I stayed behind and I cooked a barbecue for us in the garden here. Tonight, I attended Rockface with Tom and Samuel when we saw and discussed Louie Giglio's talk again on DVD called Indescribable. I have never before seen such a large group of teenagers so awestruck and speechless at the end of it. Sara is now watching Desperate Housewives as I write this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment