Friday, May 22, 2009

Wallace on a desert island

I was unable to have a shower this morning as our en-suite is out-of-bounds under the orders of our plumber. This is because having laid the floor tiles on Wednesday, he had grouted them yesterday and we have to wait for 2 whole days to let the cement and grout "go off" before we can stand on them. It was therefore a quick wash and brush up in the children's bathroom. After hurried toast and tea it was off to Dorking. The traffic was reasonably light and I enjoyed listening to (but not all of) Desert Island Discs with Peter Sallis as the castaway. It is amazing to think that he is 88 years of age and has made such an impact on the world of film and TV as the comfortable middle aged/elderly cardiganed quintessential Englishman. He enjoys jazz so his choice of music did not match my own but it was interesting to hear him say that he had met Ralph Vaughan-Williams and seen the great composer surrounded by dozens of young girls all wanting his autograph and, as he put it, other things! He chose The Lark Ascending as his Vaughan-Williams piece. Although he has played northerners, notably Norman Clegg in Last of the Summer Wine and the nothern voice of Wallace in Wallace and Gromit, he was actually born in Twickenham and brought up in north London. Now a grand old man. My day in Dorking was what has become a typical Friday before a bank holiday - manic. I had a pile of work to do and extra crises arrived as the day progressed. At lunchtime I spent a short time in the gym and had a refreshing shower afterwards (to make up for the one I did not have this morning!). I managed to get away at 5.45 p.m. and joined the heavy traffic going south - caravans and cars loaded with luggage, bicycles and kayaks heading, presumably, for the coast. I arrived at 8 p.m. at Dawn H's for the weekly meeting of "Alphaholics" where we discussed suffering and I gave a short talk on Stop the Traffik and the evils of cocoa plantation child trafficking. I brought some Fairtrade chocolate for them to try. Back home Sara was watching Jonathan Ross and I wrote this blog. If I have time I'll copy another couple of slides tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment