Saturday, May 09, 2009

Lawns, Fairways and Greens

No lie in today as it was a Men's Breakfast meeting at Les and Jan's close to the church at 8.30 a.m. There were about a dozen of us and we were feted with a most excellent breakfast of bucks fizz, grapefruit and cereal, Lincolnshire sausages, bacon, poached eggs, saute potatoes, black pudding (from Robinson's in Stockbridge and utterly delicious), small Italian tomatoes, toast, tea and coffee. A sumptuous start to the day. Our discussion centred on the role of Britain in the world and whether we should intervene in other countries problems. Chris cited Sierra Leone as a good example of proper intervention and Afghanistan as a poor one. We also discussed the reasons for going into Iraq. Chris was disappointed that I had raised the European Union flag this morning (it is Europe Day) especially as he spent many years engaged in fishery protection in UK waters against marauding Spanish fishermen. I left the breakfast meeting a little early as Sara and Mary were going into town at 9.45 a.m. and someone needed to keep an eye on Tom. Back home I dealt with the morning's post and mowed the lawns (now rather a regular chore on a Saturday). I did a little bit of garden tidying and then cleaned the BBQ ready for the summer season. It was in a disgusting state and need a real good going over to clean up to a usable condition. I thought that I had cleaned it well before I put it away for the winter but the wetness of the winter had produced mildew. I heated it up to a high temperature and scraped all the gunge off ready to be used. Tom and I were going to go greyhound racing tonight in Poole but Tom changed his mind at the last minute preferring to spend his evening with his friends at Sam P's. Mary also spent the afternoon with her friend Izzy and Sara had her hair cut tonight round at Izzy's Mum's. Having not been out all day, I decided to take myself off to the golf course and hit a 38 for the 9-hole par three course at Grateley. That means I was shooting just over one extra shot per hole. I hit 3 birdies too and my score was brought down by a very poor 7 on the first hole. The greens were in reasonable condition but the fairways were covered with dandelions and it was hard to make out your ball against all the white dandelion heads. I was reasonably pleased with my performance (similar to how I ended the golf season last year) and with practice I am determined to play more and better golf this year. It was good to see Roger again and he greeted me with the now annual cry of "Hi, it must be summer again" as he only ever sees me during the light evenings - I simply can't find the time to play golf during the daytime. Returning from Grateley, Sara had made a biriyani-style chicken curry using the leftover rice from last night's Alpha supper. We watched the new Reggie Perrin starring Martin Clunes. Bed before midnight tonight. Sara has to prepare for Junior Church tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment