Friday, June 10, 2011

Across the Plain - Another flat tyre

Final day before the Selection Conference and I decided to make it as usual and stress free as possible.  No Ambassadors this morning. The builders are also having a day off and Duncan arrived to start the work on installing the electrical wiring for Tom's new bedroom.  This afternoon I decided to drive over to Frome to deliver the Complex accounts to our accountant and then drive over to Chippenham to attend the Wiltshire Provincial Secretary's briefing at the Masonic Centre there.  I decided to set off at around 3 p.m. (which is a good job) and before I reached Amesbury I received a warning from the car's computer that there was low pressure in one of the tyres.  I stopped near Boscombe Down to find that one of the tyres was almost completely flat.  I filled the tyre with air in Amesbury and continued on my way only for the warning light to come on again in the middle of nowhere halfway across Salisbury Plain.  It was clear that the nearside front tyre was leaking air so I drove slowly into Warminster where I parked up at the central car park and set about changing the tyre.  I chose this location as it is a flat tarmaced surface with a public conveience where I could wash my hands afterwards.  Having changed the tyre, I drove on to Frome, delivered the accounts and then drove to Chippenham via Westbury and Devizes - not the most direct route.  I had to drive at around 40 mph because I was now using the spare "slave" tyre.  As I arrived at Chippenham, the heavens opened with torrential rain and I got soaked walking from Tesco's car park to the Masonic Centre.  The annual meeting took its usual format (the minutes of the last meeting could be used almost unchanged for this year) followed by a very mediocre buffet.  I drove slowly back home via Devizes and Upavon arriving in Winterslow at about 10.30 p.m.  To bed fairly early as I expect tomorrow to be a long and taxing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment