Sunday, June 05, 2011

A piece of Norfolk in Wiltshire - Cholderton Church

After yesterday's sweltering heat the weather was decidedly chilly today.  I walked to church in a polo shirt and felt quite cold by the time I arrived.  We had an All Age Eucharist this morning with only 29 attending - the half term has certainly taken its toll with few children and parents in church today.  A pity as Elizabeth presided over a good service again this morning.  It was also good to see a couple come over from West Grimstead.  As I returned home (again on foot) I could hear the sound of scaffolding being erected across the valley and arrived back to find it was coming from our house where the scaffolders were erecting the next level of scaffold so the builders can continue their upward construction.  Tom's room is really coming on now.  It does look, though, as if we will have to buy new garage doors as the steels erected to support the new room will not allow the old garage door to be replaced as the width has been restricted a little.  The heavens opened this afternoon - torrential rain - which eventually defeated the builders who knocked off at around 3.30 p.m.  I went round to Linda's to get my CRB Form verified so that I can drop it in to Church House tomorrow morning.  Richard and I chatted about the pub quiz we are setting next Sunday in aid of Morning Star until I was called back home for lunch - roast pork.  I rang Mum this afternoon and she confirmed that she had had a very enjoyable day yesterday with my sister coming over to Grimsby.  This evening I attended the Deanery Mission Service out at Cholderton which was taken by the Rural Dean - Vanda.  Such a lovely person and a most enjoyable service.  The church at Cholderton is lovely with an interesting history.  The roof of the church comes from an old shearer's barn in Norfolk with shears engraved into the roof trusses.  Mike M-J and myself took part in a dramatised reading with Sue from Whiteparish and Elizabeth.  We were given a very inspirational talk about the work of the Bible Society - especially in Indonesia and China.  It is amazing what thirst there is for the bible in these countries yet, in the west, we find bibles that are given away in schools and other institutions just thrown away.  One old lady aged in her 80s in China had walked for over 3 hours in sub-zero temperatures to get one.  I picked Tom up from Rockface and then Richard and I spent a pleasant couple of hours in the Lion's Head over a couple of beers finalising the pub quiz.  Because of my preparation for the Selection Conference on Saturday he has agreed to do most of it but I have put together a picture round.  Off the Champney's tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment