Wednesday, June 22, 2011

St. Alban's Day - Lovely Messages from the Team

Yet more rain today - how miserable this "summer" is turning out.  I cycled up to St. John's Church this morning to take part in Morning Worship with the clergy and joined them for breakfast afterwards.  Jane and Elizabeth expressed their delight in my acceptance by the Diocese for licensed ministry training (this was the first they knew of my success at the Selection Conference) and welcomed me formally to the Team saying how wonderful it was that I was now joining them "officially".  They went to great lengths to make the point that licensed ministry was just as important as ordained ministry and that the two were different but complimentary and not to think of it as being "second division".   To prove the point further, Nils then gave me a difficult passage from Genesis (full of Hebrew names) to read at the Mid-Week Eucharist declaring it to be "good for my training".  I suspect that this won't be the last time I hear this phrase over the next couple of years!  When I got home I received, in the post,  a lovely card in the post from Auntie Mim and Harry J from Cleethorpes in the post congratulating me on being accepted for ministry training, writing in it they they never doubted I would be successful.  They would have heard via my cousin Ann (who is a friend of mine on Facebook). What a lovely surprise.  I was really touched that she had taken the trouble to get a card and send it to me and what a wonderful sentiment. On a recent visit she had said that she thought that I would be well suited to such a calling.   I penned a short note back thanking her for such a lovely gesture.  This afternoon I went into Salisbury to do some banking, visited Sarum College bookshop, then finally picked up some more laminated flooring for Mary's new bedroom from Wickes.  I treated myself to a pot of tea and a scone (yes I know naughty! naughty!) whilst I read some of the papers for a tribunal I am doing in Croydon.  Just as I am on the cusp of starting my pre-training prep. an enormous amount of new employment law work has suddenly come it.  Well at least it will pay for Spring Harvest and the annual costs associated with the apartment in Nassau.  Talking of which, it looks as though I will need to visit the lawyers out there in connection with Maureen's estate.  Tonight it was Week 7 of the Lay Worship Leaders' course at Sarum College.  This week we studied Intercessions.  I had previously attended a three-week course on this and so much was very familiar.  Interestingly, the tutor this evening was a licensed minister echoing the comments made earlier this morning. As we wewre leaving, Zoe, from Whiteparish, gave me another card of congratulations with more lovely personal words written inside.  It is difficult to believe that it is only four months since I first saw Nils, with some apprehension, to tell him of my calling to receiving all these warm wishes, congratulations and blessings from so many people.   Back to earth, no Fat Fighters tomorrow as I have a doctor's appointment here Winterslow.  Probably not a bad idea as I feel I have slipped terribly with my weight-loss regime recently. This awful weather has not helped one iota. Nothing to worry about on the doctor front though, just a general check-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment