Monday, June 06, 2011

Champney's at Forest Mere - Day 1

The children are back to school today and Sara and I woke early.  The weather was bright again.  Much to do this morning as I am off to Champney’s at Forest Mere near Liphook this afternoon.  My priority this morning was to get my CRB check application document into Church House for the Selection Conference in good time.  I also had some cheques to pay into the bank for Sara and for the Calendar Girls’ account.  I therefore drove into Salisbury at 9.00 a.m. where I met John Hardcastle feeding a parking meter.  I told him that I had found somewhere only five minutes walk away where one can park for free for up to 2 hours.  I also enjoy the extra walk as it helps my fitness regime.  I called in a Church House and met the Ministry Team Administrator and, as luck (or perhaps it is not luck) would have it, the CRB Registrar who was able to confirm that the application form was all in order.  Apparently there will be eight of us on the Conference on Saturday.  Both staff were very pleasant indeed and I left feeling a little less apprehensive about Saturday.  After calling in at the bank and Tesco’s (to get more tea for the builders to drink) I returned home to find the builders working hard.  Tom’s room is going up very quickly and we had to decide whether to let the room include a vestibule (keeping his existing door exactly where it is) or extend the hall.  We think the former which will give his room the feeling of  a separate flatlet rather than just a room.  Sara and I also did wonder whether this would then make a better family/guest room.  The children have decided to review their former plans as to who has what room once the rooms are completed.  Essentially, we will have three rooms any two of which can be the children’s bedrooms.  After making bacon butties for me and the builders, I left for Forest Mere just before 2 p.m. arriving there at around 3.15 p.m.  Having booked in, I had a swim, steam room soak and plunge pool before sitting down in my favourite room (the Piano Lounge) to read my bible and jot down my favourite scripture quotes in a black notebook.  I also re-read the Book of James – my favourite book of the bible.  This evening I had dinner in the main restaurant where the maitre d’ welcomed me back – a lovely lady.  My meal consisted of rare beef salad, smoked haddock  on a layer of peas and rice with a mild curry sauce.  Dessert was strawberry and raspberry parfait.  I read some more of my bible before going to bed at around 11 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment