Friday, July 29, 2011

Day in Henley

The weather was a little overcast when I awoke this morning and it had all the prospects of being a dull grey day. As it happened, the rain stayed off and it was quite a warm and humid day.  rSara drove me to Grateley Station this morning to catch a train to Reading where I was to be met by my good friend and legal colleague, Michael, a barrister practising from home.  Today was not meant to be a business outing but a social catching up.  My trains left and arrived on time and I was in Michael's car en route to Henley by 12.15 p.m.  After a brief stop over at his home and a chat to his wife, Denise and son, we walked into Henley by way of an excellent free house pub called the Bird in Hand where we enjoyed a couple of pints of Brakspears bitter.  Unfortunately, it is no longer brewed locally but is still an excellent drink.  We lunched at a really good Tapas Bar/Restaurant called La Bodega where I was tempted by the paella which we shared and which was truly excellent - nearly as good as mine!  We ate in the conservatory with a wonderful view of Henley Parish Church tower through the roof.  It was good to catch up and we have promised each other that we shall do this bi-yearly - Henley in the summer and Salisbury in the winter.  Denise picked us up and drove us back.  We watched some of the Second Test Match on the TV before a taxi whisked me back to Reading.  Sara again picked me up at Grateley and I was home by 7.30 p.m. having had a thoroughly enjoyable day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment