Friday, June 25, 2010

Another Hot Day at Home

The sun continues to beat down on us as the days seem to be getting hotter and hotter. The lawns are turning brown and it seems too hot to do any gardening or heavy physical jobs. This morning I drove over to Amesbury to pick up a couple of Titanic items from an army family on the new Archer's Gate estate - a wooden model of the ship (of the type sold in cheap souvenir shops) and a large brass replica bell - but without its clapper. I can probably shine up the bell and fix a clapper, otherwise I am not sure what I am going to do with them. Probably put them in the bric-a-brac at the parish fete. Much to Sara's surprise, I really do want to clear out a lot of "tat" from the study its just that other things and this intense heat are not conducive to the task. I also took the opportunity to drop something in to Lee in Amesbury and visited Lidl's. I also took a photograph of the signal at the site of the old Bulford Station to send on to James B (see at the top of this article). Back in the village, I popped in and saw Richard and Linda at lunchtime to give Linda a birthday card and bottle of wine and also to lend Richard my Plass/Lucas Seriously Funny book which I finished reading this morning. I also bought him 200 long golf tees at Lidl's (200 for £2.99). Ironically, he had bough 50 of the very same tees this morning in Salisbury and paid £3.49! A bargain on my part I think. We need these longer tees as we are booked to play the very long Paulton's Golf Course on Monday - teeing off at 9.08 a.m. precisely! There are some 500 yard holes which means we are going to have to use our drivers. Time to start playing big boys' golf! This afternoon I watched the immensely boring Portugal v Brazil match which ended in a goalless draw - both sides going through to the next round. Tonight it was Chile v Spain with Spain beating Chile 2-1 to go to the top of the Group and face Portugal in the next round whilst Chile will face fellow South Americans, Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment