Wednesday, June 23, 2010

England through to the knock-out stages - now Germany!

Woke very early this morning - 5 a.m. as the sky was so light I thought I might have overslept. I cooked breakfast for Tom and myself and Richard arrived at 9 a.m. on the dot to play golf. We played eighteen holes at Wilton where my driving was much better - I used my full driver successfully on four occasions today - but my putting was not so great - probably because I used a much lighter putter. We played from 9.30 a.m. until about 1 p.m. The sun was very hot by the time we finished and we were both very hot, hungry and thirsty. The Lord Nelson's Arms beckoned (an unusual name really for a pub named after a one-armed admiral) and I had a couple of pints of Guinness, Richard a couple of pints of Amstel, me an prawn salad and him a "Fabio Pie" - English beef and Italian sausage. We finished at 2.15 p.m. and I returned home to watch the Slovenia (0) v England (1) match which saw England qualify for the next round - but not as winners of the group (that honour goes to the USA) but runners-up. The results of tonight's matches in Group D mean that England will face their old rivals Germany on Sunday! No doubt, if we get over that hurdle, Argentina awaits. Sara missed tonight's matches as she has been out at Larkhill doing another of her Vie at Home parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment