Monday, June 28, 2010

Full round of golf at Paulton

Woke early today as Richard was calling at 8 a.m. to drive us to Paultons Golf Club to play a eighteen holes of golf on full Par 71 course. It was already warm when we arrived and we had time to do a little putting practice before we teed off at 9.08 a.m. It was a bit daunting to stand on the first tee in front of the clubhouse with a driver in my hand and the green some 309 yards away (at Wilton the longest hole is 201 yards). I teed the ball quite high and gently swung my driver - not wishing to be too adventurous on my first hole. I was pleasantly surprised as the ball flew about 200 yards into the middle of the fairway leaving me about 100 yards to the green. Richard sliced his slightly into one of a group of four bunkers on the right hand side (the hole bending slightly towards the right). It took me a further two shots onto the large beautifully "carpeted" green where I took a further three putts to end up with a 6 (2 over par). I felt very pleased with that. We continued playing all morning and ended up with taking 113 shots (me) and 111 (Richard). The 15th hole was a particulalry tricky one - a massive pond/lake in front of the green. My aim had been to try and go round in under 100 but I am sure that with more driving practice that should be possible. We lost a few balls and thereby ended up dropping a few shots. Bearing in mind that that was the first time I had been on a full grown course since my holiday in Ireland 5 years ago, I was reasonable pleased with it. Certainly the pint of cider and fish and chips in the clubhouse at the end was very welcome indeed. I was very pleased with my use of fairway woods which enabled me to get 100-150 yards on many occasions. The course is lovely but playing it on a regular basis is going to be expensive. We need to go out either much earlier or later in the day to take advantage of the cooler temperature and cheaper green fees. Tonight I attended the Bournemouth and District Masters' Lodge meeting at Boscombe where I was representing the Secretary of Wiltshire Masters's Lodge. We were honoured with a "freestyle" lecture from a Prestonian lecturer, W. Bro. Gordon Davie, a Past Assistant Provincial Grand Master for West Kent, who gave a very light hearted talk on some historical aspects of freemasonry. I sat on the top table with the Assistant Provincial Grand Master for Hampshire and Isle of Wight, W. Bro. J. Michael Dodd, who was a most hospitable and genial host. He, like his fellow APGM, Eric Moody, is a retired British Airways captain. Avery pleasant evening. Because of road works at Holdenhurst Road, I drove out of Bournemouth along Christchurch Road to Christchurch (the last and longest of the erstwhile Bournemouth trolleybus routes) and then along the A35 to Lyndhurst and Cadnam. I was back home by 11 p.m. and think that when the traffic is kind this is the shortest and quickest route between Winterslow and Bournemouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment