Monday, June 07, 2010

Sussex Promotion

Tom was back to school today but Mary was still off as Winterslow School was having yet another training day for the teachers - I really do not know why they can't have done that last week! The weather was cooler today with a threat of rain as I set off this morning for Worthing to attend the Sussex Provincial Grand Lodge Annual Meeting held at the Worthing Assembly Rooms. I picked up John H from his home near Harnham and drove over to Worthing arriving at around 1,30 p.m. After signing in, I posted some letters and we had tea and a roll at a cafe just off the main street. The meeting started promptly at 3.00 p.m. and was well attended by several hundred freemasons from all over Sussex and beyond. A new Deputy Provincial Grand Master (Grahame Carr) was invested. Grahame visited our lodge in Salisbury for the last installation meeting and is a really lovely gentleman. I was delighted to see him invested. His place as Assistant Provincial Grand Master was taken by Martin Mitten. I was duly promoted and invested as Past Provincial Grand Sword Bearer and my good friend Simon C was promoted to Past Provincial Grand Superintendent of Works. A lovely title but one which he said would not make him any more adept at DIY. I sat next to a brother who knew Winterslow really well as his first wife had connections with the village. What a small world! It had started to spit with rain as we left the Assembly Rooms to drive to the Charmandean Centre for the dinner afterwards. We met up with Jeff L at the Centre as well as Peter M who was not staying but dashing off to continue his preparations for the Province's stall at the Ardingly Show. Whilst the meal was the usual cold meat salad, strawberries and cheese and biscuits the quality did not seem as good as previous years. However, the event was a joyous occasion and it was good to chat to Jeff. The was served efficiently and the proceedings came to an end before 9.00 p.m. I took the coast road home via Bognor Regis and the rain was by then quite heavy. I dropped John off at around 10,30 p.m. and I was home at 10.50 p.m. A really pleasant day seeing friends in Sussex and receiving a lovely certificate to record my promotion in the Sussex Provincial Grand Chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment