Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Day English International Football Died

A truly awful day for English soccer but more of that later. Another very hot but dry day - not too humid. We all went to church this morning where Linda led another great Praise Service. The theme today was about giving up the old and concentrating on the new - not looking back with examples of Elisha burning his plough and barbecuing his oxen and Cortez's fleet burning their ships on arriving in Mexico. Good praise songs too, Tom and I walked back home afterwards (although Rosemary did kindly give us a lift from the shop because it was so hot) armed with milk, bread and pate for lunch. This afternoon we watched the Germany v. England match. I really cannot bring myself to write anything about it. England were truly appalling and the 4-1 win for Germany hardly does justice to the far superior skills or our fellow northern Europeans. Our defence was poor leaving poor David James with an immense amount of work to do. A Frank Lampard disallowed goal didn't help morale either. England have been knocked our of the World Cup Finals in their worst defeat since 1950. Richard came to collect my golf clubs after the match to put them in his car for tomorrow's big game at Paulton's. I went to Grateley to practice my long game on the practice range and also played the par three course. I was using my old clubs but was reasonably happy with the result. I rang Mum this evening and we had a nice chat for about 30 minutes discussing the football, her health and my new car.

No comments:

Post a Comment