Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Goodbye to Adam; Hello to Skype

It hardly seemed possible that today Adam was returning to Thailand after such a short visit - although we did seem to have done a lot with him. I made us a cooked breakfast of sausages, bacon and eggs which Adam enjoyed. This morning, Sara and Adam went into Salisbury for some last minute shopping and also so they could have a bit of time together on their own. Tom was off school today with a poorly tummy and headache and he spent the morning huddled up in the lounge watching TV. Follow the discussions in the pub last night, I set about setting both mine and Sara's laptop up for Skype use - i.e. ability to make long distance (global) telephone and video conferencing calls at no cost! It took me the best part of the morning to do this - an attempt to set Tom up on his laptop failed but I'll try again tomorrow. I seem to have a problem downloading the webcam/microphone facility. I tested my Skype link by holding a telephone conference with Richard in which he showed me his new golf shoes and gloves! Skype is such a marvellous toy and hopefully one which will reduce our phone bills considerably. Early this afternoon I did some Complex Services work and also successfully linked up via Skype to Sara's Dad and Andrea in the USA. We had a wonderful video conference with them and Adam and Sara were able to chat to and see their father and his wife in America - and all at no cost! Time came to take Adam to the airport so we all set off for London Heathrow via Newbury and Reading (by far the quickest and easiest way I think). Leaving at 4.30 p.m. we were at Heathrow Terminal 3 and just before 6.30 p.m. We saw Adam safely checked in at the Thai International Airways desk and went for a coffee at Costa Coffee with him before the final tearful farewell. Sara has no idea when she will next see her brother in the flesh but, at least, she will be able to see and hear him regularly via the Internet and Skype. She still feels rather upset at having seen Adam for such a short time with no idea of when he'll be back. Both Tom and I comforted her. Tom was especially kind and caring which brought a tear to my own eye. Airports can be such exciting places but also sad ones. We returned to Winterslow by the same route stopping at Porton for a Chinese takeaway as a special treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment