Sunday, June 06, 2010

Titanic Discovery in Bramshaw

Another very warm day today. Sara and the children decided that they didn't want to go to the All Age Eucharist this morning so I went up to All Saints on my own. I arrived about ten minutes before the service started to find out that the family were down to act as sidespersons this morning! As it happened, the congregation wasn't too large this morning and so Mike M-J and myself were able to cover the collection quite easily. Elizabeth gave a good visual sermon today using water and oil in a glass to represent life and death and illustrating that a full compassionate life will dispel the fears of and pre-occupation with death. This afternoon, after Tom had washed Sara's car and I had washed my own (there's something wrong there!) we drove to Bemerton Heath for the Clarendon Juniors U13s awards. Tom received a Star Player award. There is a lot of uncertainty at the moment as to which league his team will go into next season. If he has to play on a Saturday then that could have a major effect on his ability to watch the Saints play in League One. I certainly would be most unhappy if I couldn't see Southampton FC at home and occasionally away. 2010/2011 is going to be a really good season, hopefully. We'll have to see how things pan out. This evening I drove into the New Forest to attend the Deanery Mission Project Service at Bramshaw. The service included an illustrated presentation by MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship) which is our chosen Deanery Mission Project this year. It was a most interesting talk. Whilst I was talking to the presenter, Nils remarked to me that he had discovered a memorial plaque on the wall of the church which, upon closer inspection, was dedicated to the memory of six young members of the Parish of Bramshaw who lost their lives on 15th April 1912 aboard RMS Titanic! Their names were Percy Deacon (17), William Dibden (18), Charles Henry Davies (19), Ambrose Wood (21), Stanley George Hickman (24), Leonard Mark Hickman (24) and Lewis Hickman (32). I will look them up on Encyclopaedia Titanica.

No comments:

Post a Comment