Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Meeting in Marlborough


Another muggy day today. Sara spent the morning a Morning Star making up rolls for the homeless and preparing for their thank you barbecue on Saturday, I wrote my Deanery Synod Report for the PCC in readiness for any discussions at the Standing Committee. Tomorrow I must prepare for the Huose Group. I made a start on clearing out the study by sorting out some old magazines to go to Sandtoft or Kithead Trust and threw out quite a lot of old papers. I booked tickets for Tom and me to go to the Saints v. reading friendly game on 31 July. We have got seat in the lower part of the Kingsland Stand on the halfway line. This will be a good spot to see the new players. This afternoon and evening I went to Wiltshire Masters' Lodge in Marlborough and was surprised to see a member of our church in Winterslow there. I didn't know he was a Freemason let alone a member of the same lodge. There are 150 members and it seems that he joined the night my father died - the only meeting I have ever missed! He hasn't been to a meeting since - hence my surprise to see him there. We sat together during the meeting and at the Festive Board afterwards. We agreed that wherever possible we would give each other a lift in future and invite each other to our other lodges. Tonight we had an explanation of masonic symbolism by the Provincial Grand Orator which, I'm afraid, went right over my head in many places. I much preferred the talks given at the Berkshire and Bournemouth meetings. A pleasant supper of smoked mackerel (my second of the day - Sara gave me that for lunch); cold meats, new potatoes and salad, Eton Mess and cheese and biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment