Friday, June 18, 2010

Good Golf; Poor Football

I was up very early this morning as I attended Ambassadors' Business Referral Group again at Grasmere House Hotel at 7.30 a.m. I had already agreed to play eighteen holes of golf this morning so I took my clubs and golfing equipment with me and after the meeting changed into my casual gear. Today's meeting was present by Ed Thomas who talked about the use of social media sites as a good business tool. I was delighted to find that Complex is one of few members of Ambassadors using Facebook for business purposes. Nice to know that we are in the lead on some things even if we are a small company. I was incredibly hot on the golf course today and my neck and arms are rather red with sunburn this evening. I managed three pars today and was pleased to get the ball on the green on several holes. Nearly got a birdie today too - only missed the hole by a fraction of an inch. We had lunch and a drink at the Hampton Park Inn again - scampi and chips today for me - and returned home in time to watch the Slovenia v. USA which ended in a 2-2 draw - the best result possible for England. It was a great match with Slovenia 2-0 up at half time. The USA scored a third disallowed goal which would have almost clinched them qualifying for the next round. England's game against Algeria was at 7.30 p.m. tonight and we started with really high hopes of a win which would have put us top of the Group needing only a draw to secure qualification in our last game. England's performance was lack lustre and poor to say the least. Passing was sloppy and Algeria were given the ball far too easily. The result was a frustrating, boring match (a massive contrast to the USA game) which ended 0-0. England now must win their last game against a much stronger team in Slovenia. Anything less will see the England team back on the plane home. Talking of planes, I need to be up early again tomorrow as I am going to a luncheon near Reading to hear Eric Moody, the pilot of the British Airways 747 which nearly crashed after volcanic dust closed down all its engines over Jakarta, talk about the incident. The meeting starts at 10.30 a.m. with lunch at 12.30 a.m. so i must make sure I get away by about 8 a.m. tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment