Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Revelations

I was up early today and drove over to Whaddon to attend Mid-Week Eucharist.  Following the service I joined the rest of the ministry team for a staff meeting at the Alderbury rectory - a meeting which lasted for over two hours.  I came away feeling that we had not achieved as much as we could in that time.  This evening I went up to Marlborough with Debbie to attend a talk on Revelation by the theological writer, Ian Boxall whose books I have been reading as part of my course.  Quite an erudite lecture which I enjoyed better in the first half than the second.  In the first part of his lecture he discussed the times and circumstances surrounding John's time on Patmos and how we interpret Revelation according to where we think we are in the escatological context.  His second part looked at the symbolism of Revelation which is confusing to say the least.  I can see why middle of the road theologians avoid this book!  I received the marks for my two Interpreting the Bible assignments tonight - 56% and 66% - both excellent marks and well within the pass mark of the foundation degree.  I now have to work those into my final portfolio before beginning the last module for the first year.  It's amazing to think that by July I will be halfway to being licensed as a lay minister.  I enjoy the academic study but still wonder where my ministry will be led.  Still must just keep cracking on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment